I am an educational psychologist and science educator by training and a principal and teacher at The Farm School, a private alternative school. I am also a Taiji teacher and a permaculture enthusiast.
My All Time Favorite Pattern
I believe that diversity within community is the best way for organisms to organise
My Current Favorite Pattern
The big meta-pattern I've been most interested in of late is how networks of cyclical processes support equilibrated states and how a combination of these networks of cycles and major perturbations lead to punctuated equilibrium.
- Apply self-regulation and accept feedback
- Catch and store energy
- Creatively use and respond to change
- Design from patterns to details
- Integrate rather than segregate
- Observe and interact
- Obtain a yield
- Produce no waste
- Use and value diversity
- Use and value renewable resources and services
- Use edges and value the marginal
- Use small and slow solutions
These restatements of the principles of permaculture appear in David Holmgren’s Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability.